Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Most Valuable Commodity

If you had to ask a lot of people what they would want more of what do you think that would be? If you really had to think about it, what would you want more of?

I can tell you for me and a lot of you it would be time. I don't feel like I ever have enough time in the day to get done what I need to get done. I don't even have a family to take care of like most people or a lot of other obligations that are priorities in your life.

A lot of people say they don't have enough time to workout or exercise and I just don't buy it. The biggest misconception in the fitness world is that you have to spend 2+ hours in the gym or running to get great results. I can get more done in 20-40 minutes than most people can get done in 90 minutes.

I have been very pressed for time recently and so my workouts have been very fast paced. I do a quick 10 minute warm up and movement prep to get ready for the workout, then go into about 20-25 minutes of intense work. I make sure to get in 3 days a week of resistance training using these parameters and try to get in 2-3 other interval days that are more cardio based doing timed interval sets.

For instance last night Wil and I got a great workout in using work sets of 40seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. We picked four exercises and paired them up. I started with alternating mountain climbers and squat to row with a band using the 40 on 20 off intervals for 10 minutes. Wil paired jump rope with medicine ball russian twists for the same intervals and time. At the end of the 10 minutes we switched.

I can tell you we were both sweating and panting pretty good at the end of this 20 minute session. I can also tell you that if I decided that I needed to ride the bike for 45-60 minutes to workout I would not have done it.

The best part about these workouts is that they create an afterburn effect and keep you burning fat and using up calories for up to 48 hours post workout. Just imagine how fast my metabolism is running after I get 4 of these workouts in 4-5 days.

Just a little tip of how to get a lot out of your training in the least amount of time.

Here is my workout from today (it is very poorly shot, but you get the jist by my panting and dripping). Check it out.

(NOTE: This is not Force Fitness it is the Iron Pit Gym)


Be Force Fit,

Ryan

No comments: